Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sketchy Saturday: Relearning

One thing I am starting to do when studying from life is having something to focus on, it helps me from feeling too overwhelmed (especially since the last time I went to life drawing was over a month ago). My focuses today was line and proportion, something I continually struggle with in my own works. Both can only be accomplished with a lot of patience and understanding.





While in pursuit of these goals, I've started to uncover some of the things I've already learned, yet forgotten. The torso is a key foundation and once that's drawn perfectly, everything else should be compared to it. Note where overlapping happens, don't just guess. Compare the torso to the legs and arms (I have a bad habit of drawing both of them too long). And always, always, always block in the head. 
Other notes I've made are in regards to the model herself. Most figure models have either a slender look to them or some extra weight. This model had a little bit of both: her back, arms, and legs were slender, but her abdomen was quite round. Plus, she did something I haven't seen a model do before, she would do the same pose but just change the direction she was facing. I've always wanted this and was excited when she started to do this. But after a while, it just became rather redundant. 

Overall, I felt it was a somewhat successful session today.

As a bonus, here's one of my favorite sketchbook pages as of late.


3 comments:

  1. Very nice. Your lines are so slick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice studies! I love the sketchbook page, some really interesting wing-placement there. Nose wings :D I might never be able to look at mustaches without imagining them as wings now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Daniel, not as slick as you! Ooh Shreya, I'm a huge fan of your work! Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post. That's what I've always thought of mustaches, haha. :D

    ReplyDelete